Donnie
Donnie asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

Got any solid reading recommendations to understand Europe between The Roman Empire and the modern nation states? Thanks!?

Mmmmm...........

You mean the Middle Ages, a.k.a. Medieval times?

Geoffrey of Villehardouin

John of Joinville

Dionysius Exiguus

St. Bede

Jean Froissart

Geoffrey of Monmouth

Procopius of Caesarea

Nennius

Gerald of Wales

Gregory of Tours

• C

Bear with me, the title makes the scope seem smaller than what it is....  My top recommendation to get the lay of the land before diving into narrow case studies is "The Rise of Western Christendom: Triumph and Diversity, A.D. 200-1000" by Peter Brown.  There's not much difference between the second and third editions which are much expanded on the first, so go for either of those.

I cannot praise it enough.  Just going through the bibliography will show you how deeply and widely read Peter Brown is, plus, as a mature work it has decades of thinking about this period behind it.  What really impressed me was how well he understood the much narrower region I did my masters in as in the introduction he describes it as his weakest point!  

If you're into social history my next pick is getting on a little and very much from the "annalist" school of thought but a pleasant read none-the-less: 

"A History of Private Life: From Pagan Rome to Byzantium v. 1" (ISBN 978-0674399754)

Again, it's more than meets the eye.  I found it useful to understand how potentiates rationalised their world and therefore took the actions they did.

One thing I struggled to keep straight in my head for a long time was the development of France vs Franconia.  The clearest explanation of that as well as the development of kingship in France as a deliberately weak institution I've come across comes from a book looking at the very end of the period you're interest in:

"France in the Central Middle Ages 900 - 1200" ed Marcus Bull  (You'll notice which chapters are most relevant to you.)

If you want something focusing on Britain this one is brand new and very good.  It's archaeologically lead though don't let that put you off:

"Formative Britain: An Archaeology of Britain, Fifth to Eleventh Century AD" by Martin Carver

There are extremely good regional studies out there. Is there anywhere in particular you wish to focus on?

• Donnie
      4 weeks agoReport

I know so much about Rome&its fall & the development of Europe after the Black Plague late 1400s', but there is a millennium to fill in w/ Constantinople standing as Rome during the Schism&Crusades,the 100 Years War,Germanic tribes forming nations then Muslims try 2 move in.So much never covered.