Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Why is my ceiling fan making noise when turned off?

Hi all, my ceiling fan started making strange noises about two weeks ago when it is turned off. I would describe the noise as a faint, oscillating rattle. I have very sensitive hearing and the noise bothers me greatly. The only thing that I have found to be helpful is moving the fan side to side (rocking it). When I do this, the sound seems to stop for some time, but it always starts again. Does anybody know what is going on or how to fix it? Thanks all in advance!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

it's evil!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks ago

If the fan has a light switch attached to it, try turning it off and see if the noise continues. if it stops, replace the fan. may have a short in it. If no light switch is attacked, turn the breaker off.

• 3 weeks ago

Check all the bolts holding the blades on. Can be one or more is loose. 

• 3 weeks ago

Sounds like something is out of place. I suggest you check to make sure everything is tight, so that way nothing falls and nobody gets hurt. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Clicking Noises are most often caused by a loose blade and/or blade holder screws. Check all the screws and tighten if needed. In some fan models, blade holders can be installed upside down. If the rubbing noise is resulting from blade holders touching the motor housing, the fan is most likely installed incorrectly.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

if its old just replace it ...they arnt that much

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.