Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 weeks ago

Is 30 too late to turn your life around?

I was crippled with early on-set 

of Alzheimer's. I couldn't even 

finish my first semester of college. 

I'm also concerned. My parents 

are 65 and want to retire. Mom 

lost her job back in 2008; and hasn't 

been able to find steady employment.

What am I supposed to do? 

I'm willing to go back to 

college, but don't know 

what kinds of jobs to pursue. 

What am I supposed 

do about mom's situation? 

Help!

• Edna

Someone who is 30 years of age and in the first semester in college does NOT have early on-set of Alzheimer's. 

Alzheimer's is most common in people who are at least 60 years old and older; and it is more common in females than in males.

• edward

Was crippled. As in no longer. Good, go back to school then and get your life together

If you have early-onset Alzheimer's, you won't be able to finish college and you aren't likely to hold a job. Alzheimer's is a progressive disease and it will affect your memory. You should just apply disability so you can contribute to the household income.

No your still young for 10 years then you will be middle aged for 25 years so you got 35 years until until you can sit around worrying about your age 

Most Trolls with Alzheimer's go to college later in life.

John Newton was a rebel and a slaver until he was 30 years old. Then he repented and became a Christian clergyman. Later he wrote a hymn based on his life: "Amazing Grace."

< I was crippled with early on-set of Alzheimer's >

BS

• Justin

Use the stability of 'home' as a base and build upon it so that any education you get is immediately applicable to what you are building, not just some 'degree.' At first, just try to improve life for yourself and your parents. You all seem to be in a 'common' place in life because of your condition, yet your youth gives you advantages they do not have. Their experience and resources give them advantages you do not have. Together you have an ideal arrangement if you see it this way. 

We all lose capacities over time and need people to 'fill in' those deficiencies as we go. Knowing that your deficiencies are arriving sooner only makes it more real sooner and adds urgency. You should work on finding a 'power of attorney' for yourself and your parents, (for when they are older), a 'representative payee' company to help set up automatic ways to pay bills and meet obligations, etc...and even use this kind of system of automatic 'help' to run a business from home using the resources of home as your stable base. The best way to do that is to devote yourself to an enjoyment or hobby you already have until it automatically lends itself to being financially self-sustaining and then profitable.

Alzheimer's can be slowed by keeping the mind and body active too, so whatever this 'business' is should be very enjoyable, stimulating and active.  

it's not too late until you die or give up.

The sooner you start the better. Doesn’t  Alzheimer’s affect memory so you’ve already started to forget things. As it progresses don’t you start to forget more and more things. So better to go to college while you still remember things.