Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 4 weeks ago

I’m vegan and have been asked out for dinner?

I’ve not been vegan for very long (5 months) and have been asked out for dinner to an Italian restaurant. As I don’t want to make things difficult I’ll happily go vegetarian for the evening/night, however I was wondering how this will affect me. The last thing I want is to feel ill! My guess is that the pasta will have egg, sauce will have milk and maybe cheese depending on the dishes. I don’t know about dessert. 

• denise

Going 'vegetarian' for the evening could be you best option, you could have some Gnocchi [potato dumplings], veggie pizza, mushroom risotto maybe?

• I'm feeling..."different"

You will be fine. Get some Bragg’s apple cider vinegar with the mother and have a tablespoon of that in a glass of water when you get home before you go to bed, this will help you with the digestion of the milk products that you are no longer used to.

Don’t go overboard on the cheese or you may get an upset stomach, and you can always skip dessert.

Most restaurants nowadays notate vegetarian and vegan items or may have an entire section of the menu for vegetarian.  If you know the name of the restaurant, see if you can find their website and view the menu so you have a good idea of what to expect. 

"I’m vegan and have been asked out for dinner?"

Ok since you're a vegan, and you've been asked out for dinner at an Italian restaurant, you are in for a bit of a surprise here. There are many dishes in Italian restaurants that are strict vegetarian/vegan suitable. Take spaghetti with marinara sauce,  that's usually just a seasoned tomato sauce without meat. A really good marinara sauce in fact does NOT need meat, take it from someone whose diet includes meat. Meat added to marinara sauce, in my opinion, can muddle up the taste of a well made sauce. Also I'd advise either going to the restaurant beforehand, and looking over their menu, to have a basic idea of what they have, that's suitable for someone that's vegetarian/vegan. As far as desert, there are usually a few options available that will be suitable.

Now as far as getting sick, eating dairy or eggs, that's not going to happen. The reason is that your body still knows how to digest those foods. Whenever someone who is a vegetarian or vegan finds out that they've eaten  something that their diet doesn't allow normally, by way of personal choice, and get "sick or feel ill" afterwards, is usually a case of their over thinking it, or having convinced themselves it will cause them to  become sick. About the only problem you MIGHT POSSIBLY have, would be from the richness of foods with dairy eggs or some small amount, and type of meat added to it. That may cause a bit of a heaviness feeling in the stomach.

• Louis
      4 weeks agoReport

Great answer. also you can order a salad without meat. 

• CB

Have a salad and skip dessert or order a sorbet - problem solved.

On the night of the dinner, tell your host you have severe diarrhea and won't be able to attend.

Why would you feel ill? If you think the thought of consuming something containing eggs or milk might make you feel ill I'd say don't go!

• Vegan is virtually unknown in Italy.  However, Italian restaurants in other countries tend to adapt to local fads and fancies.  Most publish their menus on-line, take a look and see if they have vegan options.  If they don't, they're usually prepared to offer a plate of mixed vegetables.  There's usually a fresh fruit option for desert.

• Lee

Also, most organic vegetables will be grown using animal based fertiliser... good luck trying to determine the source of vegetables in any restaurant.. you’d have to insist of chemically grown rather than organic..

It’s like not eating beef because an animal died for it but being ok wearing leather..