Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

Women recommend waiting til very last moment to go to hospital giving birth, to avoid unnecessary intervention such as C-section. ?

And to also avoid showing up but being told to go home early if labor isn't progressed enough and having to come back later.

So has anyone accidently given birth at home by waiting too long, and what has the hospital done differently once the ambulance shows up or whatever and the child is already born or mostly born? Some people have said that they weren't even asked to go to the hospital since child was already born, just were checked out, a few things done, and ambulance left. But for other ppl who didn't have that happen, do they still have the same length of stay afterwards, stuff like that? 

Nobody ever really talks about what goes on after someone accidentally gives birth at home or in their vehicle or public place. And since nobody ever knows if a birth will be quick 2 minutes, or several days long, figure I'd ask. 

• Edna
    1 week ago

Women who have ever given birth NEVER recommend waiting until the very last moment to go to the hospital. Women (and doctors) recommend waiting until you've been having regular contractions that are about 15 minutes apart for at least  2 hours, before you leave for the hospital. Even then, it's going to take several more hours before the baby is born.

If a woman is told to go home, it isn't because labor hasn't  progressed enough. It's because contractions stopped after she arrived at the hospital. She wasn't having true labor contractions - she was having Braxton-Hicks contractions, and only THOUGHT she was in labor. Doctors and nurses can easily tell the difference between Braxton-Hicks contractions and true labor contractions.  

A baby is NEVER born within 2 minutes of the time you first begin having contractions.  

A baby that is born at home or in a car or in a public place is transported to a hospital, along with the mother.  The hospital checks out both of them physically, and they are both admitted to the hospital.  

C-sections are NEVER done as an  "unnecessary intervention". A C-section is never performed unless there is a very good medical reason for one.  

I know people who wait. One waited so long she had to go without her epidural. If you want a home birth then see if their are any midwives in your area (google). If you don’t want a c section, refuse it unless it’s actually a emergency. I know doctors push them but sometimes it is for the best. If the baby isn’t coming and it goes on for many hours, it can be bad for you both. Midwife if at home British do it all the time. There’s none near me as I live in bfe.

You are incorrect.  You are the only woman who would put her child at risk rather than go to the hospital when a c-section is necessary.

• GB

I didn't  have   intervals  between pains ; it was constant building up from discomfort to severe back pain. I didn't even realize it was labour until I had a show of blood. (I was three and a half weeks early.)  The advice I had been given was first labours are long so don't rush into hospital.  It sounded nuts to stay at home in agony for several hours, when I be having pain relief.  

It's lucky I did what seemed right. When the midwife examined me, I was fully dilated, so if I hadn't got to the hospital early, I would have had a home birth.

No, women do not recommend that.  Waiting until the very last moment INCREASES your chance of a section, because you've eliminated all means of intervention if a complication arises.

Yes, some women don't make it to the hospital in time.  Sometimes they require a hospital trip after, sometimes they don't.  The length of their stay if they do require that visit varies by their needs. 

Everything you say is true for a normal, uncomplicated birth. However, even doctors can't predict complications until they happen. In that case, you will want to be in a hospital.

Examples: The baby's head is too large to fit through the birth canal, which requires a c-section to save the lives of both mother and child. Another example would be when the umbilical cord is wrapped around the baby's neck, and would choke the baby if delivered naturally. Another common complication if a breach birth, where the baby is born feet first, which can cause many complications if a medic is not present.