Daria asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

Can a person with amnesia forget a language?

Can a person with amnesia forget a native language? Can a person with amnesia forget a foreign language that she or he learnt?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • no
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

In the great majority of these cases, sufferers forget masses of facts, such as information and experiences, but their self-awareness and personalities remain intact, and they don't forget skills they learned, including speaking a language, riding a bicycle or playing an instrument. Many famous cases exist.

• C
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I don't know about generalised amnesia but there have been cases where adults forget languages they were fluent in and even their native tongue.  Some dementia sufferers forget their second or tertiary languages, even if they learnt them young and were completely fluent.  It happened to a friend of mine's grandfather.  He was made to only speak English at school and was careful to never let his children learn Irish because he felt that this would disadvantage them (this was a fair point at the time, sadly).  Unfortunately he lost his English entirely in his dotage and his dialect was so different from the standardised Gaeilge taught at school that he spent is final years extremely frustrated and isolated.  It was really sad.

Also, it's been well-documented that Japanese POWs would were kept in the Soviet Union after WWII and not reunited with their families until after the USSR collapsed had lost their Japanese.  In this cause trauma probably buried it.  I saw a documentary from around that time following a sister searching for her brother.  When they were finally reunited the brother could understand the sister if she spoke slowly and plainly but try as he might he couldn't make words in Japanese.  It was like you could see the gears turning but not catching.

• 3 weeks ago

No,only in rare cases does this occur.

• 4 weeks ago

The second possibilty is mentioned and described in the Roses for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.