Would you agree that every show has that one horribly out of place episode?

For example, in Stranger Things, the episode “The Lost Sister” was so out of place and served no purpose to the overall story, it was hard to sit through. Or in Breaking Bad the episode “The Fly” was drastically different, it could have been completely erased and the show would have been better off. Seems like every show has that one episode that you wish you could erase from the series. What episodes can you think of that are like that for you?

The Diff'rent Strokes episode where the bicycle salesman tries to screw Gary Coleman and his little buddy was kind of offputting. I watch Diff'rent Strokes to laugh at a black dwarf saying "Whutchu talkin' bout?", not the horny pedo Maytag man!!!

Source(s): Gary Coleman
  • Scrubs musical episode

My Name is Earl had an episode where the Charcters did creative writing and it showed you what they had wrote. 

The entire Stranger Things series was out of place and served no purpose.  Flat, flavorless characters playing out a formulaic plot with absolutely ZERO reflection on humanity as a species or anything beyond the worlds portrayed within the bounds of the show itself.  It's just a bunch of stuff that happens, designed to distract mindless viewers with 80's nostalgia and special effects.  I watched 2 seasons and I'd rather re-watch old Twilight Zone than watch season 3.

I never saw Breaking Bad.  In general I don't mind a 'breather' episode if it's done well.  Some examples are the alternate timeline episode of Friends, the 'night before the finals' episode of the original Yu-Gi-Oh, and the and pretty much all of Seinfeld (which does so on purpose and has fun with it, unlike Stranger Things which tries to generate a greater purpose with an arc and fails miserably).

Perhaps my favorite instance of this is the Community clip show, which is actually 100% new material.  It's totally a clip show, but the clips are either outtakes or else just fresh new ideas that highlight some of the characters' foibles.  Good stuff.

TV is so very boring!

I enjoyed Lost Sister a lot while watching it. but I blame the show for not making it relevant to the rest of the series. That was annoying, but I'd rather watch it on repeat forever than ever watch Nancy and Jonathan or Mike and Eleven make out.

• Creature4 weeks agoReport

You’d rather watch a side episode than each relationships develop among the main cast? Why are you even watching it then? I get the making out, but it sounds like you meant more than that. 

• LilyRT

a lot of people that I know love the symbolism of the Fly episode. I kindof go back and forth on it.

but, ditto on the musical episodes.  those are almost always cringy; I can't stand to watch them.  to this day, I have no idea what happened in the Buffy musical episode because I can't make it through it.

I don't know if every show has an out of place episode, but any show which goes on long enough is going to have sub par episodes.  That's probably especially true for network shows, which air a lot more episode than cable or streaming shows.  Just by the law of averages, the more shows you put out the more likely it is that one of them just won't work.

• no

Like Supernatural fill in episodes and tv show musicals... i hate that.