Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 3 weeks ago

If I claim my child in my taxes as a dependent, can that lower how much child support I receive a month?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You can't claim anyone as a dependent anymore. You MAY be able to claim a tax credit if you have a qualifying child. That is not a dependent deduction, it is a tax credit.

Child support is a separate matter. Child support is owed for the child and your tax return has zero to do with it.

• 3 weeks ago

No, not related at all.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

no. If the child lives with you, you would normally be the one to claim him or her, and are the ONLY one who can claim that child for EIC

• 3 weeks ago

The court determines how much child support must be paid. The couple should come to an agreement about who claims the exemption for the child. This is something that may be figured into the equation and maybe not. In the absence of an agreement, the parent with whom the child lives most of the time gets the exemption by default.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

NO. In fact, the SAME court order that determines child support should determine IF you can claim the child as a dependent for tax purposes.

• 3 weeks ago

Are you divorced?  If so, I would think that your settlement specifies who gets the deduction.  Are you saying that you want to re-negotiate the settlement, getting the tax deduction, but less monthly support?  I suppose if the two of you can come to an agreement.

• Pat
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

no

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.