So what is there to stop someone from ordering and using AAA roadside assistance only when they need it?

I don't know if this applies to all over the USA or just a specific state

benefits are available immediately.

https://westerncentralny.aaa.com/help/after-i-join...

So why would anyone sign up and pay for a year of service when you might never use it when you can just sign up when you get a flat tire???

I is absolutely amazing how many people are answering that have no clue what-so-ever

When you sign up you pay for the year, so they do not care.

Thanks for the ad

Because when they need it, they will need it immediately, and won't have time to sign up first.

SO, you're going to pay for a year either way. Why would they care?....So they've got your money so.

• Trump 2020
      3 weeks agoReport

That's how insurance works. At least, in this case you have a choice to buy or not buy.

• May

So because they require payment *BEFORE* they will respond. So

So another "so" grammar master.....So

Having worked closely with CAA (Cdn version of the same thing), I actually know the answer to this one.  And there are many reasons.

First, it's because they're in a competitive business (even though they're not a business) where customer service is the only way to compete.  AAA / CAA doesn't make a profit every year, but the businesses that contract with them do.  AAA's bragging rights are all about how many members they have, not how much money they make.  

Second, most service calls cost far less than the cost of an annual membership.  Some cost more, but the vast majority cost less.  Think of it... they don't do any actual repairs.  They just send out a truck to change a tire, boost a battery or hook it up and drag it to a repair shop. 

Third, they won't fall for that gag indefinitely.  They keep records of past members within the last 10 years.  If someone was previously a paying member for 6 years and then stopped renewing, offering them immediate assistance if they sign back up is worth it for them.  But if someone only signs up when they need assistance, and they've done it more than twice before, they'll probably not offer that person the special introductory price.

• Jay

people collectively blow billions on useless crap per year and you wonder about this???? and that is not how any kind of any insurance works. you dont buy it only when you need it. you will be paying a huge fee for instant assistance

• Jay
      3 weeks agoReport

Oh darn, someone who doesn't even know proper grammar just insulted me. I am completely destroyed. I have nothing to respond with. Damn. I just got completely obliterated.

It is likely to be more expensive when you buy it for immediate benefit.  Here in the UK we have the AA which is similar.  I had been a member for years and never needed it - until my brake shoes broke and I was stuck half way out of a parking space in a car park.  The trouble was, Home Start wasn't included in my package and I was less than 1/4 mile from home.  It was also a Sunday, so no garages open nearby.  They stung me for over £100 to add Home start so someone could come and sort my car out. 

Great question. I believe that payment for the full year is required before you are considered a member so waiting until you need it may only result in sitting on the road for a few more hours.

• Ron

Nothing until the third or fourth attempt