If Medicaid is paying for my mothers Medicare premium does that mean she actually has 'Medicaid'?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes. Medicare is her primary insurance and Medicaid is secondary.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Medicaid isn't paying your mother's Medicare premiums - the state is via Dept of Social Services.  It does not mean that she has Medicaid.  However, that doesn't mean that she doesn't.  If she has Medicaid then she has a Medicaid card just like she has a Medicare care. Certainly your mother should know what she does and doesn't have and if she doesn't, she can call the Dept of Social Services and find out if she has Medicaid.  Medicaid covers health care SERVICES performed by doctors/hospitals/clinics.  It doesn't pay out for other benefits.

States pay Medicare premiums, copays and deductibles under a program called QMB "Qualified Medicare Beneficiary" for people with income/resources under certain limits.  It has nothing to do with Medicaid.

My guess is that she doesn't have Medicaid but that the state is paying her Medicare premiums, copays and deductibles under the QMB program.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
    • Well she is 81 and going into dementia so we, her kids are taking over and just started going through her things and her paperwork is so messed up it's ridiculous. UGH 

• Zarnev
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Maybe, maybe not. There are several types of Medicare Savings programs. Qualified Medicare Beneficiary, (QMB and QMB+) have full Medicaid benefits.  SLMB, SLMB+, and QI just has their Part B premium paid but they're not full Medicaid eligible. QDWI just has their Part A premium paid but again they're not full Medicaid eligible.

Source(s): Independent Ägent
  • Flower
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, that means she is eligible for a state program that covers the 20-25% that Medicare doesnt pay and also covers the monthly Part B premiums. If she is over 65 she cannot be on Medicaid alone. Over 65 is classified differently but it is like Medicaid. The name of the state program varies in different states, i.e. Medicare Savings Program or Qualified Medicare Beneficiary.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.