Steph asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Transitioning semi-formal cat indoors?

Mama cat, we first met 3 years ago when we started first seeing her. At thos point we've had her neutered, released back into our yard and we feed+give her water every morning and night. She trusts my mom and I very much and she sleeps on our porch everyday and sits in front of our door. Last winter when we opened the door, she walked in and went to our basement. We let her stay in until the temperatures were warm and we allowed her to go back outside without force. This year, just in October when it hasn't been that cold, she walked in again and looked around, then went back outside. My mom and I have decided now that wed prefer her to be an inside cat, as her trust for us is high and we dont want to loose anymore cats as we've had in the past due to being outside. Its selfish, but it's for the better. Today she came inside after feeding her treats, and she went into the basement. Thing is, we want her to stay in a room upstairs as that's our "designted cat room" for her, as we dont want her living in the basement. We dont want to physically get her upstairs, but what would be the best idea to coax her up there? Thank you. 

Meant semi-feral, not semi formal. My bad!

Meows Meo meow meow

Just carry her up if that is possible.

• PR

Eventually, she will get hungry. Put the food upstairs in a room with a door. Close the door when she goes inside. Then, read the link for proper socializing of a feral cat (assuming you don't really mean "semi-formal" cat??)

https://www.theluckyfew.org/site/feral_cats.html

• Steph3 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the suggestion! And yeah, I meant semi-feral cat lol. She's comfortable enough with humans and comes for food, just took awhile to pet her.

• mokrie

Treats. One at a time put a treat on the floor and each time put it closer to the stairs going upstairs. Keep doing that until she gets her treat on the second floor and then slowly into that room where her food and treats will be.