Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 3 weeks ago

Accidentally took gulp of somewhat sour milk? but the "sell by" date isn t until December 21st? Will I get poisoning?

Will I get food poisoning from a gulp? The sell by date isn t until December 21st. Not sure why it tasted sour, not like full blown spoiled, but sour tasting..

will this lead to food poisoning? ?

Update:

It's been in the fridge the entire time too at 38 degrees

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    Food poisoning is caused by consuming bacteria  that cause food poisoning. Bacteria like this can be present in raw chicken and other meats. It wouldn't be present in milk however old it was unless the milk had been in contact with it.

    Consuming sour milk won't harm you although the taste, smell and thought of it might make you want to be sick. I've read of people who actually like sour milk, and it's supposed to be very good for making scones. It forms the basis of cottage cheese.

    I'm surprised that the milk had a sell by date of December 21st - that's over five weeks away and then it should have a use by date maybe ten to fourteen days after that. I wouldn't expect milk to last that long.

    If at some stage the milk had been stored somewhere warm (like outside in the sun) then any sell by or use by dates no longer apply.

    It's maybe not worth the trouble but you might want to think of taking it back to the shop and complaining.

  • 3 weeks ago

    You're not going to get food poisoning from sour milk cottage cheese sour cream cheese are all made from milk that has curdled.

  • 3 weeks ago

    spoilage bacteria and food poisoning is 2 different bacterias.

    you are fine.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Naaaa you’ll be fine. One drink of it won’t affect you much. Absolute worst case your body could reject it via throwing up but I very much doubt this will happen with such a small amount. If it was dangerous for you then your body would dispose of it by throwing up, so no worries :) 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Damien
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

    no poisoning, just stomach pain or vomitting

  • martin
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Maybe it was left un-refrigerated too long. Shouldn't worry. Milk gets sour, but it won't harm you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.