AskZilla asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 4 weeks ago

Are movie theatres becoming obsolete?

• Gonzo

I believe they will eventually with Netflix and the like, but I hope they survive always . 

• Spike

In some way it is, like these days there are not much TV spots for movies like in in the 80s to the first five and half years of the 2000. You don't see really it during the 5-7pm hours or during prime time. A lot of times in my mine, I say it already out or about to be. For example Terminator Dark Fate, The Irishman, Doctor Sleep, The Lion King, Toys Story 4, Frozen II, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, etc...… next to none on TV spots. 

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area there are still those big chain multiplex movie theaters, with 9, 12, 15 or 20 screens. But how are business these days I don't know. Since I have not gone to the movie theater since 2014. The last movie I saw in theater was the first John Wick movie.

Some people want to see new theater release for free on streaming and in good picture quality. Even when it means foreign sites that can get some how. They don't want to go to the theater for what ever reasons. It not they don't have the money like other people. Who really can't pay that price or not always. Those are the ones that might be the ones hurt movie theater business and physical media business.

I think they are dying out........and perhaps the future will be just a direct to DVD or even streaming device , for a price. 

Cell phone morons have totally ruined the Theater experience,  and no one needs a 32.oz.  cup of watered down soda for $8, that just gets kicked all over the floor , anyway. 

• AskZilla
      3 weeks agoReport

Yes, rude idiots that won't shut up or otherwise have to talk throughout the movie, spilled popcorn, soda, exorbitant admission prices, Bob's head in the way, volume turned up to loud, ridiculous food prices

I like the cinema

• Kathy

Not yet.................

• Nancy

Yes, they absolutely are.

A perfect example of this is the two biggest movies of late, The King and The Irishman, not coming out in huge theatrical releases but on streaming platforms.  They came out in a limited release in theaters in LA and New York just so that they would be eligible to be nominated for an Oscar, as that's still a requirement.  I have a feeling the Academy is going to be changing that longstanding rule soon, though.

• AskZilla
      3 weeks agoReport

It is funny how the direct- to- streaming channels or DVD releases aren't worried about Academy Award eligibility. They couldn't give to flyin' hootenannys

• They are mainly there for dates now

Are tires becoming obsolete?

• AskZilla
      4 weeks agoReport

We will see how you feel about that statement in 20 years

The Joker movie just made it to a billion dollars. Obviously a movie can still make money in the theaters, provided it is widely liked.  There just isn't a lot of good quality movies in the theaters these days. I think Ford vs Ferrari, and then Top Gun: Maverick will probably do well.

• Chaphaz Yahshua
      4 weeks agoReport

Most movies I am willing to wait on. A lot of people have a good home theater system, but not everyone. I won't usually go to the movies just to see random films. If there is something I really want to see, I'd rather not wait

i think so, they are a far cry from what they used to be, all the tradition and fun has gone out of cinemas now.