Is it wrong for an employee (25 y/o man) to tell HR mgr. (40 y/o) who says he’s a good boy, “I’m not a slave, not retarded, and not a dog”?

Let’s say she keeps saying to him, “You’re such a good boy” as her way of telling him he’s hard-working and is pleasant, most likely due to the fact that his mother got him the job. So HR apparently thinks of him as a child who gets As in school and does his homework and also got an A in “Conduct,” which is evident by the fact that he never calls the other male employees a good boy (but instead something like “you’re a gentleman and a scholar”), even the ones who are younger than him. Although, she never admitted why she calls him that. But it seems a bit too coincidental that all the other guys who got the job on their own, are not “good boys” to her. On top of that, she’s met his mom at a few events, since they’re both in the HR field. Keep in mind that this “boy” has his own place and his own car. Was he out of line for telling her that he’s “not a slave, retard, or dog” and to please stop calling him that? Or did he deserve being spoken to that way because he’s not a real man for getting a job through his mother’s connections?

• Erik

It's weird for her to say that to him, but it's definitely rude to answer like that.  Just ignore her.

Yes, he was out of line and very childish. Hence, that's why he's thought of as a child.

She's a condescending idiot, but I still wouldn't suggest that she is suggesting that you are a slave or retarded. A dog - sounds reasonable, since most people with dogs tell their dogs good boy. No, I do not think it would be wrong to say that you are not a dog, and ask her address her as another human being, not a dog to say "good boy" to.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Speed

He's out of line. So is she. Lots of blame to go around.

What he should have said is less defensive and more about workplace behavior standards. "I'm an adult and I insist you treat me like one. I am not anyone's good boy. Don't address me that way again."

A woman who'd call a male employee a good boy doesn't belong in HR.

Have you taken your meds today?  Have you asked your doctor about doubling up at a time like this?

• Eva

He was out of line for putting it that way. He could have simply said that he was not a boy, that he's a adult and would like to be treated as such.