Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Cocker Spaniel lifespan?

I have an American cocker spaniel, and he’s turning 13 in December. He’s still healthy and the vet said he has a great heart. But I’m worried he coming to the end of his life

Favorite Answer

Best I can offer is to try not to dwell on the future, for starters.  Sadly our pets don't tend to live as long as we do so losses are inevitable I'm afraid.  The only way to deal with this is to live in the moment and build some great memories while our pets are still with us and leave the when until it happens.    And if he should become ill, please don't allow 'lingering'.   You will know when he's had enough so be prepared to let him go, with the dignity he deserves.

• Amber

Ours lived to 13.

A clean bill of health is good but then ours had that 6 months before. He got a stomach infection and it just seemed to spread. The anti-biotics didn't help and it just seemed to be more than his body could handle and all his organs began shutting down. One week fine. Next had to be put down.

Dogs either go down hill slowly or they just suddenly go. The best you can do is make his life and nice as possible and accept that everything dies.

If you got a clean bill of health from your Vet, why are your worried? You can just google your initial question & get the answers you are looking for. I don't know off hand & would have to do that search to tell you what I found.

It is 12 years.