cinthya asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Puppy Peeing Every Hour?! experiences?

Hello, just wanted to hear feedback or stories about puppy potty training. I got a new puppy recently and he is now 13 weeks and around 4-6 pounds. Since I got him he has always been peeing every hour on the dot. Its weird though cause he can hold it in at night just fine but during the day, I have to take him out every hour or he will pee in the house. I wanted to know if anyone has had experiences like this and what you did? 

AND yes, i have taken him to the vet and there is physically nothing wrong with him. 

I had a puppy of only 8 weeks, a buy in, do this.   My washing machine was on constantly.   I took her to my vet to have her checked/urine tested and they found it wasn't quite right so she was given antibiotics - which after some days, showed no response/improvement.   My then vet started suggesting bladder stones (at 8 weeks?) which was the point I phoned her breeder and said I had to bring her back to get whatever was going on sorted out.   She took offence and gave me my money back .......  It could have been a weak bladder although the test results suggested more than that.

I think you need to take another vet trip if there's been no improvement - at 13 weeks now I'd not suggest this is an immature bladder really but something is going on.   Interesting he can hold all night but then presumably he's sleeping and not running around?  If necessary take a second opinion.

Have you spoken to his breeder?

I used a shock collar when he went inside. Gave him treats when he went outside. Potty trained in a heartbeat. 

• PR

Use a dog cage for training. The puppy doesn't urinate as often at night because he is not active and running around. 

Put him in a cage kept in the main living area of the house. Take him out in the morning on a leash with you attached. Walk him around saying a key phrase such as "Good dog go OUT". When he does something, praise him like he won the lottery. Bring back inside and give him a treat. Feed him and repeat the above steps. 

Play for a few minutes on a tiled surface and place back in the cage. Take out in one or two hours and repeat steps. 

DO NOT allow on carpeting until fully trained. 

That is EXACTLY what puppies do.

Just because he manages to hold it longer at nite does NOT mean that he can hold it for hours. The body slows down when sleeping.. Even organs slow down during sleep.

• Ocimom

Have him checked for a UTI or other problems by your vet.  A 13 week old puppy should be able to hold it for about 3 hours till they have to pee.  You figure an hour per month of age till around 6-9 months old.  Smaller dogs need to go out more frequently but should not be every hour at his age.

I don't have much experience with puppies, I haven't had a pup around here in many years. I would say that he isn't completely potty trained & that you need to reinforce what he has been trained to do. oR you can buy some belly bands that hold the urine & it don't go in your house, just in the band. Some have pads to insert. So simple you can make them yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bell+bands+for+mal...

So.... what is the (unmentioned) background on the puppy?  Was it adopted from a shelter or bought from a breeder?  Do you know whether pee pads were used with your puppy before you got it?  If so; this really CONFUSES the puppy (pushes back or delays efforts at housebreaking) and sets up a BAD habit of teaching it to "GO" inside the home.

Secondly, what product or products are you using to CLEAN up these accidents?  Anything ammonia related can stimulate the puppy to continue to GO in the same or a nearby area.  Nature's Miracle and enzymatic cleaning product WORKS BEST, as it not only helps break down & remove the BY-PRODUCTS & SCENT BUT IT ACTIVELY discourages GOING AGAIN in that LOCATION.What breed or mix of breeds is it?  (Some toy breeds like Chihuahua are MUCH HARDER to house-train, than others.)  It is possible for puppies (as young as 12 weeks) to begin territorial indoor MARKING.  See these links FMI:

https://pets.thenest.com/age-puppies-start-marking...

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/urine-marking-in-dogs#...

clean it up and housetrain the puppy

Train him to use a litter box with pine pellets and slowly move it closer to the door.

Get training pads.