Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

My estranged sister is in the hospital fighting for her life. I wonder if I should show compassion or since estranged is silence politer?

She is not a kind person but in some ways she is part of the family since she is my sister. We never have liked each other but like I note it is a sister. What should I do?

Also what if I visit and she gets nasty and is a bully-like adult as she was when I knew her? She has young adult children so I don't want to hurt them. 

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

Many people aren't kind - but she's still your sister and is in a bad situation.

Go and see her.  Be kind, even if she's not.

Be the better person.

**** her! One of my sisters disowned the whole family so she could get sick and go into the hospital today and I wouldn't send her one measly 'get well soon' card. 

Ultimately, you decide whether reaching out to your sister is beneficial for your emotional and mental wellbeing, and if you are willing or wanting to put aside your differences/history to endeavor to reconnect. Be open to realizing your sister may not want that reconnection and equally, she may want her family around her at this difficult time. If the situation was reversed, would you want your sister to reach out to you?

• Ann

Even if your sister is nasty to you if you visit her, go ahead and do the visit.  Her children will remember that you were kind in spite of the hostility she displays.  Don't mention her behaviors when you were young, but only tell her you're sorry she's going through what is happening.  Also tell her that you will keep in touch with her children to help them with their loss.  Whether or not she accepts it is up to her.  At least you will be doing the right thing.

• denise

Be the bigger person and visit her, Who knows it could be your last chance.

i would go see her, you might not get another chance

You should make your own decisions regarding your own family members, as if you were a mature, adult person over the age of 15.

• Bill

it never hurts to talk quitely and listen attentively

who knows , you might just find out the real reason for the estrangement

Asking others for advice instead of inherently knowing what you want to do is wrong. Think for yourself and decide.

• Linda

Show compassion bc she is family and it is the right thing to do.