If my computer is said to have 4 cores and 8 logical processors while does the performance say it is running 4459 threads?

I thought the number of logical processors represents how many threads can be run on the core on the CPU and all processes are split amongst those threads

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Processors can multi-task meaning running multiple threads on each core.

Logical cpu would be software dependent.

• Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i don't think you understand just what a thread is.

a thread is a single line of things for the CPU to process. some (not all) programs can run multiple threads to take advantage of a processor having multiple cores to process them with. i highly doubt those 4459 threads are from the same process.

Personal computers nowadays can perform elementary arithmetic operations, such as addition, at a speed of 10 billion operations per second, so having thousands of threads is not unheard of, as your processor is not CONSTANTLY processing them, and some of them only have a few things per second to process. think of it like dotted lines for each thread. it is not a constant stream of data, but the thread is kept "open" to be able to feed processes to and from the CPU as needed.

this might also interest you:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/88283/so-...

• 3 weeks ago

It means that 4459 threads are currently running in the OS

but not that 4459 threads are running in the CPU at that moment.

In other words

assuming you have 8 logical processors

4451 of those threads are on "pause" at any given moment

(and note that a "moment" for the CPU is a very, very, very small amount of time)

• A Yahoo User
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Probably on the basic level they are machine language function calls. They are just "threads" of programs (all of the programs) that are running.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.