Back in the 1990s when Wal-Mart was shadowed by kmart and service merchandise, did you ever like going in there?

Let's go back to the 1990s when Kmart and Service Merchandise were the top dogs and they both shadowed Wal-Mart and Targets.

Wal-Mart and Targets were just other stores, not popular but just other stores, just an alternative. They weren't really well thought of that much. We usually went to Kmart and Service Merchandise for our products and Winn Dixie and Krogers for our food. If we needed something electronic and technical we went to Radio Shack. 

In that time did you like going into Walmart? 

Also in that time frame, walmart sold things made of real solid wood, and heirloom quality. They put metal in the products and their products were of better materials. 

The Wal-Mart store was of a dark red of that time, and inside the store was white tile and dark red tape on the floor. The stores were just regular stores, not supercenters. 

No.  I've always had a life.

Walmart never sold anything with real solid wood or heirloom quality.  That has never been there business model.  I have no idea what you mean by "regular" stores vs "supercenters?

Few people probably even know who Service Merchandise is.  Even at their hey-day they only had 300 stores and $4B in sales.

In 1995, Target had 670 stores and $15.7B in sales.  When Target first became popular in the 1980s it was EXTREMELY well thought of since it was owned by the Dayton-Hudson Corporation. 

To be honest:

I never liked going to KMart, Walmart, or Radio Shack.

The KMart in my city is not closed or on the closed list when I go inside I say "this store is dingy, dirty, and dark with no products I really want to purchase.  It KMart is keeping this location open, I can't imagine how awful the others are.

You need to get out of your fantasy about what these stores where like. 

• John

I've always preferred Costco.

Cool story bro.  

Enough people went there as opposed to K-Mart or Service Merchandise (who filed for bankruptcy in 1999...had to look them up...they weren't in my region)...so they won the retail war of the 90s...

Just wondering, did you have a Sears near you too?  

I went to both. So what?

• Mark

No, as I grew up where there were no Walmarts.  Good for you, Cletus.

No. For one it was way too far away so wrongly go there once or twice a year.