Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Can I keep my cat in the basement during winter?

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, during summer months she usually stays outside and comes to the garage to eat and spends the night there. Now that winter is approaching I was wondering if I could keep the same setup? It's pretty cold here(below freezing temps) but the thing is my cat will still insist on being outside sometimes even in this weather. She has access to the whole house during the day 

time,

and only has to stay in the garage at night. she doesn't seem to mind the weather too much since she always wanted to go outside even when she could stay in the house. The garage has no harmful chemicals and she can come back in first thing in the morning. She will always have access to food and water and she has a bed( a cardboard box with blankets inside and wrapped in more blankets). Is this ok?

she's spayed

Kitties know what they want. That's not always good. Let her out, but not too long. It snows where I live, and Buster just wants me to open the door re. so that he can look outside. Then he'll walk to the back door & want to look out there. He doesn't actually want to go outside, he knows that it's cold. He just wants to see if the snow is still there.

As long as it is safe and warm.   Keep her litter and food there too.

• Ocimom

In freezing weather I would not let the cat outside, even in the garage.

My family has 3 outdoor/indoor cats and for the winter we always have them in our basement.  And we also have little huts outside just in case they don't come in that night.

• PR

If that is what she likes, that should work - BUT, be sure she is in before dark, so you can monitor her welfare. So, if you feed her at 4 or 5 pm, keep her inside until morning. She could freeze overnight.

Try giving her a bit more attention when she is inside, and she may want to be in a little more. Additionally, if she is not spayed, this may be part of her determination to be outdoors. Get her spayed, and she may be more compatible with the family. But, some cats love the outside - but not when the temperatures are extreme.

I would also be sure to have a collar with an I.D. tag on her, so in case someone finds her or she ends up at a shelter, you can retrieve her. Phone number, not address.

• christin4 weeks agoReport

thanks for the advice! but she is spayed and has never wandered far and always comes back at least a few times a day in the years we've had her.

I suggest installing a cat door, so she can still go outside, but if she gets too cold, than she has thr option of coming inside

i don't see why not.

• Linda

Yes it is okay for very cold temperatures. My dad was a postal carrier and found a cat that froze to death. Since then I always kept my cats in the garage or enclosed porch.

No it is not, it is bad.