Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

If I see my neighbor abusing his dog but I don't have video evidence, can I still report him?

I see my neighbor yelling at his dogs, picking them up by the collar like suitcases and throwing them across the back lawn, throwing rocks at the dog as it tries to run away from him, etc. Other neighbors know he does this but no one knows if we can report him without evidence. We live in Virginia, if that helps.

• Ocimom

Yes but its better if someone at least video tapes part of this.  Y'all have your cell phones on you - why not take a video of it?

Yes.. And your neighbor can report you for whatever law you're breaking as well.

Call your local police department and tell them (the non-emergency number), you can't get in trouble for it and may save those dogs. You can even do it anonymously.

Well, I don't live anywhere near Virginia & have no idea what your Animal Ordinances are. I am pretty sure I could pull them up from here but that is a search you need to do on your own since it is local.

Don't any of these other neighbors have cell phones? A cell phone can video what you are seeing. If you don't have one, borrow one & have neighbors video what they can. Make a group effort so he don't have one single person to seek revenge on.

• PR

People did not used to have video cameras and could report whatever they felt necessary. Yes, you can report them and sooner than later.

You don't need evidence to call in a complaint.  On the other hand, you probably have a cell phone. Film him in action.

Sorry, but I find this too ludicrous to be true. I'm calling TROLL on this one.

If you aren't, you install cameras outside your house and if you see him doing that, you retrieve the video evidence, then give it to authorities. Simple.

Of course, you can report him. Maybe once he knows people are watching he'll stop his abusive behavior.

• Vicki

Yes, you can report him. Report him to the spca. You can go to the police but they require more evidence.

You can try. Please be an advocate for these poor animals. Someone needs to at least try.