the best way to kill grass and weed?

I have a little stretch of area in the yard that I want to put pebbles/rocks on it and need to kill all grass and weed before doing so. I first lay down cut-up black plastic trash bags but I don't think it's very effective. The bags are thin and sun light can still go through, and grass and weed are still kind of growing under it. I also don't want to use too much herbicide. If I lay down multiple layers of black plastic bags to stop sun light from coming through, would it work better? and what is other more effective ways to kill grass and weed? thank you.

• In
    Favorite Answer

Round-Up (Glyphosate) works nicely as a broad spectrum herbicide.  After spraying apply landscape fabric which will let water drain but keeps weeds from growing.  Don't believe all of the TV ads by the greedy trial lawyers.  Flawed and downright fraudulent research conducted by special interest groups implicating Round-Up as a "potential carcinogen" were used in a couple of lawsuits that could never definitively show Round-Up was the cause.

"The EPA has evaluated the carcinogenic potential of glyphosate multiple times since 1986. In 1986, glyphosate was initially classified as Group C: "Possible Human Carcinogen", but later recommended as Group D: "Not Classifiable as to Human Carcinogenicity" due to lack of statistical significance in previously examined rat tumor studies. In 1991, it was classified as Group E: "Evidence of Non-Carcinogenicity for Humans", and in 2015 and 2017, "Not Likely to be Carcinogenic to Humans".

• In
      3 weeks agoReport

Monarch butterflies should not be under landscape fabric and gravel.

• I care

I used the cover cloth made especially for such as this and used edging and than rubber mulch would you believe?  This mulch was known for children's play area, but serves wonderful in our yards....color doesn't fade and hardly moves.  Also this mulch doesn't have to be replaced....This mulch isn't expensive at Menards.

Area's next to me that no one lives in, (old mobile home)  weeds grow fierce......I used strong weed killer keeps it down nicely.  Just be careful of weed killer wear a protective mask.  

Gasoline will kill it

I used rock salt (maybe the stuff used in water filtration systems?) under plastic under rocks. Worked for a few years.

lay thick plastic down and put the rocks on top it

You can verify that grass and weed pesticides are available in the market.

• Biff

You need a quite thick black plastic sheet, the type used as a waterproof membrane in the construction industry.

Round up. ............

Heavy black plastic sheets, not garbage sacks. Premium tarps. Two layers furniture cardboard overlapped.

premium tarps are best

weed killer spray