daniel asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

How do I know if im Introverted or Extroverted?

I just can't seem to figure this out. I've been thinking about it for about a year now and I realized confidence plays a big role for me whether im Introverted or Extroverted. For example, when I'm around new people, or people I'm just not comfortable with I tend to be more Introverted, because I admit, I hate being judged so I don't want to show myself around these people because I feel like maybe they'll think I'm weird or something. Now When I'm with close friends all of this goes out the window, I'm EXTREMELY confident, I even become more of a d*ck actually and stop thinking about others. I do things I usually don't do when I'm with people I'm not comfortable with like making a fool of myself and I just don't care what others think of me. Its weird, I just don't know which one I am.

Favorite Answer

The best way I've seen these terms defined is that it depends on where you get your energy from. Somebody introverted "recharges" by being alone, and somebody extroverted "recharges" by being with others. 

To figure out which one you are, think about this: If you've had a really long or hard day, do you need to be alone or with other people to "recharge?" Do you need to go sit alone and read a book or watch a movie, or go out with friends? Which one leaves you feeling better afterwards? If you need to spend some time alone after a long day or if going to parties is kind of exhausting, you're probably an introvert. If spending time alone makes you sad or tired but going out or spending time with people gives you energy, you're probably an extrovert. 

(You can also be an "ambivert"-- a little of both. I'm generally introverted, but there are times that I need to be in a high-energy setting around other people to feel re-energized.)

*It's also super important to realize that "shy" and "outgoing" are not related to introverted and extroverted. I am an outgoing introvert. This means that I am very comfortable around people, can start a conversation with anyone, and love to meet new people, but after doing these things I often need to go home and recharge. Make sure you separate these two concepts.*

• daniel2 months agoReport

Thank you. So I guess I "recharge" by spending time with others (more specifically. My close friends/family) But I personally hate social interaction with people I'm not comfortable with, this still leaves me confused. Is this what you mean by outgoing? 

• Luby

Not everything is black and white, you can decide or flip a coin if it makes you feel better. There are things you like to express and things you keep to yourself. It's normal.

Never met anyone in the 75+ years I have lived that was not a combination of being an introvert and extrovert depending on the situation.

An introvert is a person who remains isolated, or enjoys the company of few closed ones.