Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 1 month ago

Why would a young composer choose a musical style that's more traditional?

Unlike a lot of twentieth-century music, Zwilich's compositions don't sound too "weird." Why would a young composer choose a musical style that's more traditional?

Favorite Answer

She was born in 1939.  That makes her 80.  Clearly, her style reflects her times.  Many of us tried dodecaphonic composition - and rejected it as *not our thing*.  There are countless composition I have looked at to potentially include in my performances - but they do not speak to me - they are often angular, dissonant, and fragmented just because they CAN be - not that it makes fine music.  And otthers are coherent.  I analyze (I have multiple degrees in Theory) - and some reveal themselves easily - others just are not my taste.

Probably because that's what he/she likes.

Because the paying audience has demonstrated over many years that it does not want to hear the "weird" ultramondernist works that so fascinated most of the post-WWII composers. Just because something is taught in the conservatories does not mean that it will be popular anywhere else, except maybe among the critics who have gotten bored with traditional music due to their overexposure to it.

• Sparky

Perhaps because it is tried and proven, or because he is trying to create similar music to his 'inspirations'.