My sister had a DNA test. If I had one, would the results be exactly the same? We share the same mother and father?

Update:

It was an ancestry one.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You'd get the same results ONLY IF you were identical twins, and even then you might have some differences.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

< If I had one, would the results be exactly the same?  >

No is the short answer.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. you have 23 of your father's 46 chromosomes and 23 of your mother's 46. So does your sister but she doesn't have the exact same ones. Full siblings typically share 23 chromosomes. Deviations from that mean are possible. people with the same mother will also share mitochondrial DNA

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No two people have identical DNA unless they are identical twins. Siblings who are not identical twins will share about 50% of their DNA. That means 50% of your DNA will likely be identical to that of your sister's but the other 50% are different. The percentage is likely higher if your parents are closely related, such as being cousins. You do share identical mitochondrial DNA because both of you inherited it directly from your mother.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Not identical, there is differences due to how much you ALSO inherited from your both sets of grandparents. Genetics isn't just parent to child, you get from further back as well.

• 4 weeks ago

Not necessarily. My kids wanted me to get one...they were curious. It turns out that I'm totally different than my sister. Then again, I was adopted. Does that count?

• abdul
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, nearly the same but not exactly the same, unless your sibling is your identical twin.My sister, my brother and I all took the test, and each of our results were just a bit different.

• 4 weeks ago

It would be exactly the same if you were identical twins or clones, but you're not. So no, it won't be exactly the same.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your DNA and your sister's are not identical -- siblings don't inherit all of the same genes from their parents unless they are identical twins -- but if you're talking about an ancestry DNA analysis, the results would be pretty much the same.

My sister and brother both had theirs done by two different companies, and the results were so similar that I decided not to bother.  I knew I wouldn't be getting any new information.

• 4 weeks ago

No of course not everyone’s DNA is unique but you may have some similarities

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.