Jesse
Jesse asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 4 weeks ago

Looking for a scope?

Scope for 20” AR-15 with the classic a2 stock. 

Looking for one around $200

Something that has a ranging reticle capable of 800yds

Mil-dot and mil adjustments

Something durable, preferably fixed

Something with a magnification preferable at 6x but no higher than 10x.

I’ll take any suggestions though even if they aren’t that specific. 

Favorite Answer

You are going to have a difficult time meeting all those criteria for $200. 

First, do you really expect to shoot 800 yards?   Few inexpensive .223/5.56 BDC reticles range out that far, partly because you will probably need a decent 1:7 twist barrel shooting 77 grain SMK OTM ammo to have any accuracy out that far.  

MOA adjustments are far more common on inexpensive scopes with BDC reticles.

$200 and durable are not  terribly compatible specs.

Here is a scope I would actually recommend (I have similar products from this company) for an AR:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx6-1-6x...

Unfortunately it will cost about $100 more than your budget and is MOA, not MIl adjustments, but reticle has some nice features.  Even though it it has BDC out to 800, I would not call it an 800 yard scope.

Here is another suggestion that I can recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Engage-Riflescope-...

It is not BDC and it is MOA, not Mil, but has a decent middle zoom range (2.5-10x) and MOA marks and turrets allow you to make adjustments based the same estimated ballistics used on BDC reticles, or even better allow you to tune to exact drop for your rifle and your load (like real men do). 

I believe there is also a rebate: https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Home/Bra...

that will allow you to purchase a mount or some rings and be fairly close to your budget.

check Tasco fixed power scopes. 2.5, 3, 4 power with wide optics that were made for shotguns and carbines in field. tough scopes and moderate price , usable but no extra fancy features. Meet your price range at least

It will be hard meeting your $200 budget.  

Save another $200 and get a much better scope or depending

on what you are shooting get a peep sight.  Once you get used

to it a peep sight is very good. Sometimes called a   aperture sight.

A decent red dot would work. I don't think a peep would work on your

AR but the red dot might be useful.

Burris 536. Fixed 5 power using prismatic magnification. Has BDC reticle for 600 yards but you can make it work for 800 by sighting in high. Make sure you pick the Ballistic AR reticle, and not the Ballistic CQ.

Source(s): I have one on a 20 inch A2 AR and have used it out to 1000 yards.

Weapons are very dangerous and will be banned on December 1st. Seizing will be December 2nd-23rd. All before Christmas!

• Gary

Scopes for guns are just a joke. Guns are very dangerous