Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 4 weeks ago

What range does an airgun pellet start to drop and lose momentum?

Fired from a restricted B2 break barrel (spring loaded 22 in the UK), disctance in ft please

Gawd, lot of pendantic know-it-alls on here

Favorite Answer

noticable drop and loss of velocity is about 10 meters--33 feet from end of barrel. 25 yards/75 feet is considered long range for target and about longest for pest control, rat shooting with Gamo .22 hunter or the RWS sport models with 750 fps to 999 fps initial velocity. air rifles at range use the 25 yard black powder tables for training students for hunting or the 10 meter pistol range for beginners. Bullet drop is obvious at 25 yards but still has momentum to kill rats, mice, occasional rabbits with sight adjusted for the 25 yard range.  

• C_F_45

When does an airgun pellet start to drop?

When it leaves the barrel. 

If you're looking for the trajectory

http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php

You need

The actual(not manufacturers claimed) muzzle velocity

The ballistic Coefficient*of the pellet you're using

Try different sight in ranges to find the optimum one for 

your rifle/pellet combination. 

*If you don't know the BC, Hardairmagazine.com is a good source. 

Any pellet (or bullet for that matter) starts to drop and lose momentum the instant it leaves the barrel of the gun.

Only to add information: A projectile from a high powered rifle, air rifle, or artillery piece loses velocity/momentum when it leaves the barrel, which is just physics and fluid dynamics. That is why bullet/projo velocities are measured at the barrel end or close enough to be safe to measure. Gravity has the same impact, it starts to take effect as soon as the projo leaves the barrel, but on some rifles, there is an intended rise to the barrel to give the projectile some loft above the barrels (and scope if equipped) straight-line extensions. On a rifle like my 30-06 the bullet will rise up 2.0+ inches above my barrel line and cross my scope straight line of sight at about 48 yards and begin arcing back to a line with my scope at 200 yards because I set my ZERO to 200 yards; others use a 100 yard ZERO and obviously an air rifle will be much less. So, a projo fired from a horizontal rifle will follow a parabola arc if it started on a lofted trajectory or flat but gravity affects it the instant it leaves the barrel. The physics test is that if you fire a bullet horizontally and dropped a bullet from the same barrel height simultaneously they would hit at the exact same time because gravity acts on them equally. So, that is the background, and there are formulae to determine

how that works with mass and velocities. 

The faster a projo, be it a pellet, BB, bullet. or cow fired from a trebuchet, the less time gravity has to affect it before it hits a target. If your air rifle is powerful and the target close then there is little time for physics to take hold and alter your aim much, but that is what sights do, they allow you to compensate for the drop. I've fired air rifles where you can actually see the pellet go down range and see the arc given enough distance. 

EDIT: Your question is similar to asking how much drop a bullet will have at X distance without stating the weight, velocity, Ballistic Coefficient, and other variables; empirically you can establish YOUR drop by just setting several targets at known distances, say 7-10 meters apart, and extrapolating the curve OR in my case I just deal with the end result of having my point of impact known at a given point "A" (200 yards for hunting) and adjusting for differing distance by shooting to those distances and knowing I drop 3.6" from 200  to 300 yards. I know, it isn't easy, but sometimes you just have to put in time behind the trigger.  

It starts to lose momentum the instant the air pressure behind the pellet is no longer greater than the air pressure in front of the pellet. If the gun is well designed this will be the point that the pellet leaves the muzzle.

It begins to drop from a straight line trajectory at the point it leaves the barrel. The point at which it begins to lose height and the point it falls below muzzle height depend on the velocity, mass, and angle of the muzzle to the ground. The later of which depends on the target as viewed through the sights and how the gun was sighted in.

The moment the pellet leaves the muzzle of the gun.