Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 3 weeks ago

Why is there such a huge argument against women going topless on the beaches?

Women have been going topless on beaches in Europe almost forty years. My father has a photo of my mother sunbathing topless on the beach at Lake Constance, In Germany, taken in 1984. In Australia for at least that amount of time.  There are even topless beaches in Turkey, a Muslim country, and Aqaba in Jordan,also a Muslim country. Yet Americans are still absolutely terrified of the prospect, they fight it tooth and nail. Only a very few beaches in the U.S. The only one I know of for certain is Miami. I've heard certain state allow it, but then the individual communities turn around and say no way and the state makes no effort to enforce it.

What bothers me the most is the simple fact that three months ago I was on the beaches of Menorca. There were women from Germany, Spain, Denmark, etc. Over half of them topless. Here's the punchline of that experience. The guys really didn't care. I know it's hard to believe. Yes they looked but that obsession that American men seem to be stuck with simply wasn't present, it was all simply skin to them.

Favorite Answer

I don't know but it's kinda ridiculous considering that many men have boobies, too. 

I’m a woman myself. It’s wrong. Breasts are sexual organs which arouses men and should not be exposed. 

Americans are crazy.

Why should the U.S. follow European customs and traditions ? we are different.  Most people who have answered are european, why do you care about the U.S.? most americans don;t care about europe at all.. 

• Alesha
      3 weeks agoReport

Why should every woman be forced into the same mold.

• susan

One of the cultural differences between the US and Europe is that in the US, women's breast are considered very sexual. Their purpose of feeding infants is seen as kind of secondary to that. 

Some people in the US even get offended when women expose their breasts for breastfeeding!

Edit:  2 people so far don't like my answer, but everything I said is true, isn't it? Where's the lie?

• Bob

Americans are rather prudish about sex. It's all a bit sad and bizarre to be honest. They obviously started off fairly puritanical but you'd have though the mass influx of all sort of others might have mellowed their mindset.

Breasts - in America - are sexual things. That's why there's all that uproar all the time about breastfeeding in public. The sight of a (female) nipple sends Americans into conniptions.

Why are they like this? I honestly don't know but they also voted for Donald Trump to be their president so it's clear that a large percentage of them are just batsh1t crazy and the frenzy over the female breast is just another symptom of this.

• Mikey

Americans are too paranoid and neurotic to deal with a naked human body.  We aren't a very mature lot when it comes to such issues.

• angeleyes3 weeks agoReport

No kidding, which is why it seems most American men are perverts. A lot are pedophiles, that's for sure. Sick world. 

We're not terrified of topless beaches. We already HAVE topless beaches. What the hell difference does it make whether they're topless or not?

• A C

Because the Bible tells women to dress modestly. 

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)
    • Alesha
      3 weeks agoReport

Modesty is relative: As I recall women can  speak in church now and no longer have to keep her heads covered 1 Cor 11, 2-16 . As for modesty, there are places in the world where women walk around the village topless all day long every day and no one cares, so define modesty in that environment.

When Europeans do come over they feel that it is customary to be naked on public beaches.

There are plenty nude resorts in Vegas if you are so worried about it. 

That is why we are different.  Nobody likes to see your junk hanging out.

• Alesha
      3 weeks agoReport

They don't even go to Las Vegas. My Freshman year in college I heard where four Norwegian women went topless on Venice Beach, just south of the Venice Fishing Pier, in front of God and everybody, and no one bothered them the whole afternoon, Beach Patrol notwithstanding