what age did you find out about the truth about Santa?

• Amber

When I as about seven I remember this horrible boy at school telling every he wasn't real. So I asked my Dad. I remember the look of panic in his eyes, this desperate need for inspiration as what to tell me.

At the time my Mum was watching a TV soap called "Eastenders". There was this character I was terrified of called Phil Mitchell. I used to cry as a small child because of him, he was always shouting it seemed and so scary, so my poor mum couldn't watch Eastenders when I was around. So my Dad just blurted out.

"Santa does exist and he's Phil Mitchell!" 

A week later my Mum came home from the shop with a TV guide and there on the front cover was phil mitchell in a santa suit! It was true! How could that horrible man be my beloved Santa? 

My poor Dad felt so rotten. We still laugh about that now and from time to time the pain is still there lol

• .

I was about 6 years old IIRC

• A C

I never believed in Santa.  We were taught it was just a fun story.  And we left cookies and milk out for dad sometimes. 

I found out when I was 7 years old. It was Christmas 1988. My parents were putting us to bed and I was scared. "What are you scared about Peter". I said I was scared because Santa Claus was coming. They asked me why in the world I was scared of that. I said he might take me and then I said word for word "WHERE DO YOU THINK HE GOT ALL THOSE ELVES". Finally they had to tell me. Then I got sick and threw up all over the stairs 10 minutes later and as I threw up I saw Mom and Dad putting the presents under the tree. I felt SO MUCH SAFER and slept well. Next day I wasn't even sick, I had simply gotten so upset I threw up, like a panic attack. That is when my parents realized they were dealing with a mentally ill child. Little did they know 15 years later I would be just out of the hospital following a suicide attempt at 22. Little did they know after a family trauma I would be OBSESSED NON-STOP from August until Christmas as to whether I could see each branch of the family at Christmas (that hasn't been as bad in recent years with people spreading out). Little did they know their sweet little 7 year old would obsess about what mood he'd be in Christmas Day due to depression from ages 11 onward to this day. Lastly, little did they know the Santa fear was the first sign of Obsessive-Christmas Disorder. Yes that is Obsessive-Christmas Disorder and not Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, though I have both.

Sincerely,

A Disturbed OCD Patient.

HO HO HO, 39 Anxiety Driven Days Until Christmas. HO HO HO

Sanity clauses prohibit beliefs without causes.

Very young. Can’t remember the exact age. But I do remember looking for sleigh and reindeer tracks in the snow after he delivered presents on Christmas Eve. 😆

I think I had an idea Santa couldn't be real at around 4 years old, first doubts after seeing several all out at the same time in department stores, with fake beards

5 YRS OLD.....

• .

My parents are Seventh Day Adventists and never told my brother and I that Santa was real.  It was sort of a religious thing for them.