Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 4 weeks ago

Google was invented in 1998 but when did most people actually start having it in their homes???

And when did most schools/colleges/universities start having internet?

• Lv 7
    Favorite Answer

actually, colleges had internet LONG before anyone else. it was a college project that invented internet.

and as for Google, because of the way the internet works, once a website is up, it is accessible by anyone with an internet connection. so people were accessing Google right away, as soon as they heard of it.

and the rest is history :)

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

How was the internet "invented" by a college project?  You mean colleges doing military research?

Google refers to a web-based search engine. The "internet" was around for 20 years before that. I was doing internet email by 1985, after using X.25 networks for about ten years before that (TymeNet, Telenet, Compuserve, etc.)  But I'm not "most people", having worked on digital electronics since about 1971.

• Hockey

Arpanet. Somewhere in the 1960's was when the first colleges had internet.

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

The ARPAnet connected four university computers in 1969.

My home was around 2004

There was a well known search engine at the time called WEB CRAWLER.  Once Google showed up on the scene, most people found it further reaching and more efficient and switched to it.  It didn't take long. 

But, if you don't like your every move tracked or every search term logged by Google, you might consider a more private search engine.  I use DuckDuckGo and have found it very good.

As for learning institutions having internet, they had it almost from the start since the government used it to stay in touch with school research departments.  I recall universities being on ARPANET as far back as the mid 1970s.

Hi. Well, this wasn't the first one to get people online & connecting to each other, but it was the one that opened the doors

to the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1fFilKKOnQ

Youtube thumbnail

Before this one there were these :

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bbs+s...

G'Luck!!!

I got my first "internet" computer in 1995. I am pretty sure I started using Google when it first came out.

I wouldn't equate Google with the start of the internet.

The internet as we know it really came to private homes in a mass way in the early-mid 1990s. 

I guess around 2004 for me and my circle (friends, cousins) 

2007 for me, i always feel like we are ten years behind the rest of the world here in england.