How to celebrate Hanukah?? ?

I’m not Jewish, but I have a coworker who is. I noticed everyone here celebrated christmas at work, but I want to do something for my coworker

I’ll only see her on the first day of it, so what is an acceptable gift?? Food? Money? A funny card?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I just don’t want to hurt her feelings

Favorite Answer

If you're worried about doing something wrong or being guilty of a fopaux...or doing something harmless but very awkward...or whatever here's something you can do:

If you're not Jewish then you're not expected to even care when Hanukkah is, so if you look up the date when it begins and wish a Jewish person Happy Hanukkah it shows you care about them. They'll know you're not Jewish and had to look it up. It's a way to say "Hey, I care about ya, I just don't want to get your traditions wrong and offend...because I care about you." Or you could get them a card or something. But if you're really 100% unsure...without researching it to deeply...saying happy Hanukkah and/or giving a card says a lot in and of itself. I'm Jewish, so I know. A lot of Jewish people will be surprised (in a good way) that you even know the dates of the holiday...you now, would brighten their day.

Sure, doing more says more, but only if you get it right and don't assume that all Jews give or get pen/pencil sets or khaki slacks or whatever, and don't by someone a dreidel unless they ask for it. Jews should know the customs surrounding these and when it's appropriate to do them. Unless you get it 100% right, you might offend someone.

Send her the same type of gift you would give to a Christian, atheist, Hindu, or Muslim.

Tell the Jewish co-worker you are interested in learning about Hanukah and ask if she is willing to teach you about it.

Note: That alone is probably the BEST gift you can give her.

• Jerry

Get her a card, or a gift for Hanukah

You should celebrate by getting a Hanukkah Candle.

Since you posted this in the Military section, I'd recommend an enlistment contract.

• Beans4 weeks agoReport

I didnt. It auto-posted in there for some reason

A card or just a verbal wish for a happy Hanukkah. It isn’t that big a holiday in the Jewish faith.

• Mark

You have already celebrated Christmas in the middle of November?  Interesting office you must work in.

A card would be nice.

• Beans4 weeks agoReport

no, but this is my second year here. i know it starts kn the 23rd this year

• Satan

Send her a Hanukah card

• helene

A card is fine.