adam asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 weeks ago

Is he an asshole?

Someone said to me “You're worth your weight in peanut shells”. I was working on a marketing project for him and doing this for free, which no one else would do, unless they got money. I tell this guy that I’m almost done and for days he’s telling “get it done, get it done”, so I rush it and he keeps saying “why didn’t you do this?”. I’m like “cause you told me to get it done now” and he doesn’t seem to understand that I need time for it to be perfect. Then he say “you’re worth your weight in peanut shells” and I want to know what it mean and how to respond.

Favorite Answer

What he said means you are worthless.  And he's a total loser jerk for not saying thank you, instead he insults you.  Just tell him you are through with his project and you don't appreciate being insulted by someone for whom you just did a favor.

Then block him everywhere and don't ever do anything for him again.

It means he doesn't think you are worth much.

I'd tell him "You get what you pay for"

If you pay nothing, you get nothing.

And yes, he's an ungrateful slave driver.

• Suzy Q

Maybe you know this expression:

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. 

It means that low wages attract incompetent/stupid employees, because all the smart and skilled ones are able to secure better paying jobs.

Well, the guy you're doing all this work for, basically says you're worth less than a monkey. That your work isn't even good enough to merit peanuts. 

An appropriate response would be to drop everything you're doing for him. After all, if he thinks your work is worthless, he can hardly have a problem with you not doing it at all. 

• Eva

It means you're a lightweight and he doesn't think much of your abilities. Because you're doing it for free, he thinks you really don't know what you're doing and doesn't value your abilities. If I were you, I'd throw the whole project back in his face and tell him to find someone else to do it. NEVER offer to do something for free that requires your talent and expertise. The client will not appreciate it and will argue over fees every time.

• Ana

Why are you stupid enough to work for free?!

You need to learn that if you can’t even respect YOURSELF, you can’t expect anyone else to respect you.

You should never work for free, except maybe for your husband. Your time is more valuable than that.

Yeah he’s a d*ouchebag, obviously, but you’re foolish for allowing yourself to be used. 

• Mark

To the "why didn't you do this" or similar questions, answer "because you didn't micromanage me well enough".

• Leto

Please advise him that he gets what he paid for.  Something free is seldom valued or appreciated.

• nanu

yes............................