did kids get presents in Christmas 1929?

if not, what excuse did parents give for nothing from Santa. Santa is magic and therefore unaffected by the world economy

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Some did but not everyone. 

As for Santa he can do nothing cause he is not real. Santa is DEAD and always has been. 

• 1 month ago

Parents wrapped clothes and toys they already owned just so their kids could have something to unwrap.  Some mothers sewed rag dolls, socks, dresses or other items of clothing usually made from rags.  Fruit was also a rare and treasured gift.

• 1 month ago

Getting presents from Santa is definitely tied to the economy.  Back then, with the stock market crash and the Great Depression, people were lucky to have meat for the family dinner table, let alone presents for each other.  They might have knitted socks, made knives, made hand-made lace collars, or given each other a piece of fruit they bought for a few pennies.  There was certainly no extravagant gift exchange of many, many presents, some from Santa and some from your parents and other relatives.  Kids back then didn't expect to get presents from their cousins or their school classmates.  Presents were practical, not a bunch of toys like today.

• 1 month ago

Santa is a relatively new "invention". Not sure if it existed in 1929 but 99% of the people, those years, were too poor to participate..

• Mark
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

He did, but long before 1929, people exchanged gifts. Most people in 1929 probably gave homemade gifts.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Christmas celebration wasn't always such a big deal, and was banned several times as being sacrilegious (not in the 1920s), and the modern concept of Santa is only from about the 1870s

• 1 month ago

I think my mom told me that she got an orange, and she was happy with that. It was a very tough period of time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.