Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why do the Irish and the Scottish speak the way they do if they were forced to learn English from English people?

Scottish English to me sounds similar to a Northern England accent except with rhoticity and Celtic influence. Irish English to me sounds very different from Standard RP English since it has rhoticity and especially the "cot-caught" merger. Wales, however, has many accents that sound more like Standard RP English from England. Why is this?

It would be helpful to know where YOU are from. How people hear accents depends very heavily on what they're most accustomed to hearing.

As a Scot I can tell you that a Northern England accent is easily distinguishable from ANY Scots accent.As for 'Irish' English, there is all the difference in the world between the Ulster accent and that of the southern parts of the Republic.

• Zirp

Pretty much every language has local accent and dialects. Lots of people don't bother to waste energy on learning the "prestigious" one. Lots of Dutch hear what part of which province I'm from as soon as I utter a few syllables. Germans who hear me speak German assume I'm from their west.

The English you hear in Scotland and Ireland (the latter is called "hiberno") are influenced by the Celtic languages (Gaeilge and Gaelic) and by the Scots language - a germanic language that developed PARALEL to English and shares lots of traits with Dutch. Things like word-orders that would be "wrong" in standard English, and distinguishing know from know (wit and ken)

Welsh English is the sad result of the Welsh Knot and was learnt from RP directly after it had become non-rhotic etc. Scottish English is to some extent its own dialect and merges into Scots the language but in the Highlands does have more features of Southern English for similar reasons. It's descended from Northumbrian rather than Mercian, which is the ancestor of English English (with a few exceptions such as the words "vixen" and "vane" and the pronoun "they").

• MISOA1 month agoReport

The British dialects and accents are nothing compared to what they do to English language in Americas ....i mean it practically non exists !!!

People acquire their speech from their parents and family. David Tennant (Dr Who) ordinarily speaks with a Scottish accent, so it is possible to change if required, but then they presumably don't feel the need. As a North Englander I have no difficulty distinguishing between a Geordie or Scot. 

Nowadays people pick up language from television so they end up with a sort of strange transatlantic twang. Often the only way I can tell what side of the pond people who are on Youtube are is to look at the electrical outlets in the background.

the Irish and Scots don't have to they have their own native languages ....two of the most respectable communities .....very open and lively people with warm hearts !!!

Even today bagpipes lead the way in the Indian army ...we are proud of this !!

Source(s): MISOA....aye !!!
    • Zirp
      4 weeks agoReport

The Scots have TWO languages of their own: Gaelic and Scots

• Lôn

Wales has standard RP accents from England??

You can't be serious!! Where the hell have you visited??

• Lôn
      1 month agoReport

No...he was probably English. No offence taken, just putting you straight.

England alone has five different accent family categories.  England does not have a standard pronunciation beyond RP, but, even the English have to learn that one.  Accents vary all over the UK - and, outside of it as well.