How do I make my male rabbit stop humping me?

How do I make my male rabbit stop humping me? I’ve tried spraying him in the face with water and that works sometimes but not always. Looking for ways other than neutering him

• Justin
    Favorite Answer

If neutering is not an option or undesirable, there are certain scents which 'set off' the behavior and encourage breeding and ones that stifle it. Usually it is something with a strong herbal or woody scent that excites the reaction. Identify and remove it from the area where you play with him and that will help. 

You are also on the right track with the spray bottle except water alone just temporarily shocks them and interrupts whatever they are doing, then it tends to enhance smells around them, making it worse. 

As funny as it sounds, beer traditionally works better because it contains 'hops,' (no joke), which is a bitter herb used to give beer a nice contrasting and smooth floral flavor, though it also slows libido, (even in people). We don't tend to notice this because alcohol has the opposite effect, (at least psychologically). I am not suggesting that you get your rabbit drunk, just that you put a little beer in the spray bottle with the water, (or ideally dried hops flowers themselves, easily purchased as an herbal supplement), and this might calm him down and remove the strong mode that causes him to actually hump you. 

Breeders have also learned to use scents which put animals in a different 'mode' entirely, but most are not conducive to play, since they tend to be 'fear' inducing scents that take them out of breeding mode and into survival mode, (urine from predators, etc...). Vinegar would simulate this if you want to give that a shot and see what happens, adding a small amount to the spray bottle with the water. Any thinking along this line would yield some interesting options and ideas to try or to research further. 

1 week ago

dontknowthatmate

Castrate - there is NO other way.

• patty

neuter him. dogs who do this are trying to be dominant

There is no other way. Hes doing it because of his hormones so the fix is to get him neutered. 

• Sandy

Neuter him or get him a female bunny. have her spayed first unless you want a bunch of bunny babies. this isn't about what you want BTW, it's about what's best for your pet. it needs to be neutered and it needs a friend.

• Sandy
      3 weeks agoReport

my last sentence covered that.