What should I say as to why I want every Sunday off?

I've put fully flexible as my availability on work but I now want every Sunday off but if they ask why I want to change to having Sunday off what reason should I give to my manager?

Favorite Answer

How long have you been on your job?  If you are still doing your probationary period, I would wait until you were done your probationary period, and then when they brought up your availability this would be when you would be able to negotiate the days that you're willing to work.  If you're past the probationary period, then you can discuss with your boss about it. But be prepared that they may say no if there are other people that have higher seniority then you.

Say you have found your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and need to spend all Sunday worshiping and praising him and God.

Why do you suddenly want every Sunday off?  What has changed?

If you submitted an application saying fully flexible, then say 14% of the time you said, you are actually unavailable...should they believe that?  What happens when you say you wont work saturdays...how about wednesdays?  I wouldnt hire you, but might have considered you if you were honest upfront. 

If they are open on Sunday you won't get every Sunday off.  Other employees that have been there longer will get that option first.  You probably won't be hired if you say you can't/won't work Sundays.

• Alex

Do you WANT Sundays off, or do you NEED Sundays off?  If you just want them off, then simply ask and offer no explanation why.  If they say no, then see if they can do a compromise with having rotating Sundays off.  Your boss can either accommodate you or he/she can't.  But you won't know unless you ask.

If you NEED them off, then try the same thing.  But keep in mind that you may find yourself having to find a different job or having hours cut, as you were hired with the expectation of a certain availability that you no longer have.

• If the place needs people to work on weekends, then you should be available to work on them. If you don't have an open availability, your hours can get cut or you can get fired. If you have to do that, helping out taking care of an elderly relative...

• audrey

You'll get fired. In retail, weekends and nights are the busy times. If you don't want to work, you're out.

• Judy

If your job is in retail, fast food or other restaurants, expect to be fired.  They wouldn't have hired you if you said you wouldn't work on Sundays.

• mokrie

Too late. You already put fully flexible in writing.

If god took the 7th day off, then you shouldn’t work harder than god.