My car locks by itself ?

I have a 2007 Ford Escape. Whenever I get out the car while the engine is running, it locks automatically. I don’t press the lock button or anything. All my doors would be locked with the engine still running. Trying to figure out why it’s doing that. 

Favorite Answer

It happens due to the running of the engine and it locks automatically to prevent the vehicle from the thieves. There is a function in cars when you take your key away from your car, it gets the lock for several seconds or minutes.

Check if the courtesy light operates properly when you open/close the doors, if not check the switches on the door slams, if they don't operate the central locking system might not recognise the fact that you've opened the doors and then lock them after a short time, this is a normal function of the system, worth a look.

• okay check in with the dealer

Most newer cars allow you to program this feature so it locks only when the vehicle is moving. Read the owner manual on how to program it.

Go to the dealer. Every vehicle I've worked on was supposed to NOT lock the doors if you had the key in the ignition. Ii have had a few vehicles that locked me out while the key was in the car and laying on the seat.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • geezer

But ... some cars these days don't need ''a key in the ignition''.

MOST newer cars lock when the doors are closed with the engine running to prevent actually driving with the doors unlocked.

In other words, the vehicle is operating as designed. The answer is DON'T get out with the engine running. At leas keep another key with you if you do.

stop getting out of car leaving the engine running ..99.9% of pop dont leave it running

• geezer

You get out of the car with the engine running.

The doors automatically lock to prevent someone stealing it ... perhaps.

• need answers2 months agoReport

It just started doing this though