How much disruption in your life can you tolerate to extend or renovate your home?

I prefer to remain homeless.  It's very lucrative.

Since you’ve chosen the “philosophy” category for this, maybe I can help you out. I’ll take a stab at it, anyway. Let’s see... So this renovation issue constitutes a philosophical dilemma for you? What is the basis of this dilemma? Is the real issue actually that you are considering building an extension on your house or have YOU simply BECOME  an ‘extension’ of your house since it seems that it has such a significant influence on your emotional state? Has ownership effectively made you the slave of that which you own? Have you come to be possessed by your possessions? Have you chosen to base your happiness on that which contradicts the wisdom found in this quote:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.” ... ?

• KLB

you would be amazed what you can tolerate in order to make your home livible - especially following a natural disaster.

Almost nil at my age.

This is philosophy?

• P

A lot eg no roof and missing one wall (not at the same time)

• Speed

I was a work-at-home parent during the gutting and renovation of two bathrooms. It took five weeks and was just awful. The mess was bad, even though the guys took pains to clean up and prevent it from spreading, but the loss of privacy was worse.

I couldn't get to my home office most days and made do with my laptop in the living room. They played talk radio upstairs some of the time, and it was hard to concentrate on what I had to be doing.

We were down to a single layer of drywall separating the work area from the one functional bathroom, so anything I did in there was heard by all. I was extremely uncomfortable with that.

And there were people in and out constantly, musclebound helpers to carry fixtures out or in, electricians, inspectors, window replacement, all that sort of thing.

The bathrooms came out great, but it was pretty bad for me. I don't know that I'd go that route again.

• jehen

I hated it so much that after 2 months I put a stop to it even though it wasn't finished. So my limit is something under 2 months. The worst was the dust. That was a year ago. It was mostly done by then, the house was fully functional. I needed no contractors to finish what remained. Over the course of a year I completed most of the work. Part of my problem was going too low and having to fix incompetent work. But after all the bills came in only about $2000 of a $20,000 budget was rework, and I had estimates as high as $50,000 for the project. Most of the estimates were in the low 20s and even with the rework the budget was still slightly under the next lowest estimate - except for the work I completed myself - but that is a lesson learned.

I think that happens after any accident

It's usually time to stop things and spend more time at home.

As long as i had a job to go to during the day and a bed to sleep in at night i wouldn't mind it. I would just be thinking that it'll all be worth it in the end.