Brandon asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

My rescue kitten has fleas?

I rescued a kitten someone ditched near my house. He has fleas, I tried everything from flea colors to powder to sprays and aloe for the skin irritation etc even fogged my house and washed every cloth cleaned all walls floors etc. But he still seems to itch etc pretty bad. Could it be something other than fleas by chance?

Put it into a sink of suds, with one hand putting pressure on it's back. Wash the kitty, making sure that you get all the way down to the skin. After it drys, gently brush it. You may have to take it to an animal clinic & get the kitty vaccinations. Give it wet food, not dry & they like fresh running water to drink.

• Eva

Be careful about using flea products on a kitten. Some of them are very toxic to kittens that are under 12 weeks of age or are debilitated. Use a flea comb and/or wash him with Dawn dishwashing liquid. He's probably itching because you've dried his skin out with all the different products. Look at his skin to see if there are black specks, commonly known as "flea dirt". That would indicate that he still has fleas.

Take it to the vet

Your kitty might have flea allergy dermatitis which can cause itching and scratching long after fleas are gone.  A steroid shot or some other medication will clear that up quickly and often stops the allergy from flaring next flea season.  That's not to say he's not affected by dust mites or some other teeny parasite, but since you did a thorough job of cleaning your home, I would look into allergy.  

Check under the coat for fleas. If you never see any crawling on him it could be mites or another disease. The fleas this year are very bad and the flea products are not working as good as they use to. If you are sure it is fleas get your kitten on a monthly flea and heart worm prevention from the vet (i use trifexis for my dogs)

• Maxi

Take this 'found kitten' to the vets and get it health checked and purchase treament from the vets...not OTT junk that doesn't work or is toxic

• PAMELA

Take it to a vet to be checked.

How can we know? None of those things you're using will kill all the fleas, eggs and larvae. You need a delayed kill like Advantage, Frontline or Revolution.

But how young is this kitten? Get it to a vet and a vet will give you whatever is safe at its age.

Parasites. Fleas are often the culprits behind compulsive cat scratching or cat licking behaviors. ... Other parasites, including ticks, mites, and ringworm, can also prompt scratching, licking, or chewing. Allergies.