Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Who do I talk to about past traumatic event?

I see a psychiatrist once a month and a therapist once a week. 4 years ago I was sexually assaulted and yesterday's events at and after therapy triggered thoughts that kept recurring. As a result,  I stayed in bed until around 3 because every time I opened my eyes or used my phone I would pick up where ever I left off, re-living the experience. I feel like after 4 years I should have let go but it still very much effects me. I see both next week and neither know about it, but should they? Or Who? 

5 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    First of all - I'm sorry to hear of what you're going through, and I'm elated to hear you're getting help! Also, please don't beat yourself up by saying that you should have moved past it by now. Healing takes time, and everyone heals at their own pace. Give yourself time, and be kind to yourself.

    Both of them should know. They are both trained to help you move toward healing. This includes training in how to help you eliminate (or at least cut down) the intrusive thoughts. It will be hard to say it out loud to them, but it should be enough to say "I was sexually abused 4 years ago, and lately I've been easily triggered and having intrusive thoughts nearly constantly, and I need help controlling the thoughts".

    That should get the ball rolling.

    I personally recommend a form of therapy called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). It helped me to heal in ways I never dreamed possible.

    Best of luck, and happy healing!

  • 4 weeks ago

    I'm sorry that you were violated in just about the worst way.  Please know that you're a Survivor.  Please also do talk to both the psychiatrist and therapist about such a traumatic event.  Perhaps you're having symptoms of the anxiety disorder known s post-traumatic stress disorder (ptsd).  Please know that you're *not* alone.

    The RAINN website has a toll-free 24/7 helpline for those who have been assaulted or harassed in such a way, and their website has more general info and resources:

    There may be a local "women's trauma" (or men's trauma) program, for instance, which may be through a "partial hospital" (or "day treatment") program.

    This website should have some local counseling agencies, which may include a "partial hospital" program:

    Their toll-free 24/7 ** referral ** hotline:

    1-800-662-HELP (4357).

    The Anxiety and Depression Association of America has more general info and resources pertaining to those with anxiety and/or depression (though, *not* in place of professional diagnosis and/or treatment):

    NAMI (national alliance on mental illness) is also supposed to be a non-profit organization, which is for those with mental health conditions *and/or* their families or caregivers (though, also *not* in place of professional evaluation and treatment):

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You should tell both of them. You should have told them a long time ago.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Talk to both of them about it. It'll alleviate this weight off your shoulders. The more people you tell the better and what's better than telling two people who will keep confidentiality and won't judge you?

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.