Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 3 weeks ago

how come coastal california is so mild temperature wise all year round? is this why so many people love to move here?

coastal california rarely ever has any extreme differences in temperature. go to San Francisco, los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara, central coast like San Luis Obispo.

the winters are very mild to the point where one does not even need a coat or a thick sweater.

here In los angeles. its so mild during fall or winter that I see people with t shirts out

Update:

its also very easy to build a simple wardrobe living in this region.

you don't need weather specific clothing for colder temperature other than maybe a light jacket or a light sweatshirt 

most people I see wearing coats here are just doing it for fashion reasons 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It's the moderating influence of the Pacific Ocean.

• Flower
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Coastal California is mild except in the northern counties. It can get cold and windy on the coast. In Humboldt county, even Mendocino county, north of the Bay Area. But compared to other states, it is mild and easy to live with.

• leslie3 weeks agoReport

north coast like Mendocino and humboldt aren't that cold 

• 3 weeks ago

I think the mild climate is because of the Pacific Ocean. Places that have an ocean to the immediate west of them, in other words, places that are on the eastern shore of an ocean, tend to be warmer than places that are inland or on the opposite shore. For example, Paris, France, is farther north than the U.S.-Canadian border, but you wouldn't guess it from the weather.

• 3 weeks ago

It’s near the coast and we know water is a great insulator so you don’t get that much extremes. 

It’s close to the equator and the equator is warmer than anywhere else. 

• Eastside Guz
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

We are also one of the five world regions that has mediterranean or subtropical weather: https://www.britannica.com/science/Mediterranean-climate https://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/sunset-climate-zones-california-nevada

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.