Is sexual activity OK during chemotherapy treatment?

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

There are two factors here:

Does the person FEEL like having sex? Chemo can be pretty draining, and I'm sure many people won't feel much like getting it on, at least not right after a treatment.

And some doctors will recommend (for at least some chemo cocktails) avoiding the sharing of any bodily fluids for the first few days after a treatment.

So -- if you are the patient, ask your doctor. If you are the partner, ask your partner and be sure they check with the doctor if there are any concerns.

• LAN

Ask your oncologist.   They will tell you about anything you need to know.

• Edna

My son had chemo treatments for several months following colon cancer. From what he and my DIL said, they had sex any time they wanted to while he was undergoing treatment. The only time they had to refrain was the next day after he had a treatment. The day after, he usually felt too nauseated to be interested in sex. 

• Edna
      2 weeks agoReport

Trey; exactly what do you find "perverting" or "trolling"?  The OP wanted to know if sexual activity was OK during chemo. It told him what my son's experience was while he was undergoing chemo.

The chemo drugs are likely still in bloodstream and fluids. You would have to ask physician.

My answer would be no unless it's protected and no bodily fluid is exchanged. 

Not really, chemo can spread to others via bodily fluids. It's in the instructions to use a different toilet than the person taking chemo.

• Pippin
      3 weeks agoReport

It's both reasons. Especially if the other people using the toilet are young children or other people at greater risk.

• keerok

I advise against it. Chemotherapy lowers the body's immune system. If you really love that someone, restrain yourself. You wouldn't want to be the one who kills him or her.