Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

How do Italian accents sound to English speakers?

Although I've been living in Australia since I was 12, I still have an accent. I am not shy about it or trying to fish compliments with this question, I'm just curious to know what I sound like to English speakers :)

(I come from the north of Italy, so it's a bit different to what most of you have heard. Also, you should know that comedians/tv series aren't a reliable source) 

• Mark

Like Italian accents.  "I bought a plane" sounds like "ah-ee bot eh plehn".

I don't know what you're looking for.  An Italian accent is recognizable as an Italian accent.  There were many Greeks and Italians in my high school in Chicago.  I'm Greek and I like the Italian accent -- kind of musical.

btw it's different *from*.

• Daria4 weeks agoReport

I didn't realize I was talking to a flawless English teacher :/

So I actually just came

From Italy less than two weeks ago I went to Florence, Roma & Naples. I was born and raised in America so had never really heard Italian accents up until then. I noticed that as I was listening to their accents it sounds like a French accent but with deeper vowel sounds. They exaggerate the vowels a lot more. 

• VAA

My father was 100 percent Italian and I grew up listening to my grandmother speak fluently..her accent was part of her, I couldn't imagine her speaking any other way.  I like the Australian accent, have worked with Aussie's and they were a hoot!!  Great fun.