if your boss report you to the irs without a w 2 what should you do?

3 Answers

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    Gives you a 1099-misc instead of a W-2?  File form SS-8 asking for an IRS determination of whether you should have been classified as an employee and given a W-2.  If that's their decision, you'll still have to pay the tax you would have paid, but not the employer portion of social security and medicare.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Nothing, until the IRS contacts you by Letter explaining what is wrong.

     Only you and the paymaster should have the W2 form before it is mailed to the IRS.

    A W2 only shows what the Employer is reporting regarding your Wages, and FICA and maybe Medical Payments.

    Any entry on the form is/would be that of the Employer, not you.

    Any misrepresentations (or Error) would be by the Employer, not you.


    If you see an error on the W2:

    Contact the IRS If Your W-2 Is WrongYou can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040. ... Then you can file your tax return reporting what you think is the correct amount of wages and withholding using Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2. You will have to reference your pay stubs if you use this form.

  • 4 weeks ago

    I not sure what this means but common sense is telling me to tell them and fix it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.