Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 months ago

Is the United States safe to travel to?

I am visiting next month, and with the news of once again another mass shooting I am having second thoughts of traveling to the United States. I am from NZ.

• martin
    Favorite Answer

The news quickly will pick up these mass shootings. Generally, people are safe and don't expect anything like this to happen.

• John

Its a big country, tell us the odds of you being hit in one the many shootings.

Short Answer: No but your race can play a factor. Long Answer: I know it can look and sound scary from the outside looking in and it is. But from someone living here my entire life and as a minority, of course I am scared of things that can and HAS happened but also despite all the stuff you hear on the news, those are rarities. I'm american and also afro-latino, none of those things that has happened on tv has happen to me (or anyone near me) and I'm 21. I mean I hate the climate we are in, but it's not all bad. I've had more great experiences with people than bad. Are you here on vacation? Because we are always nice to tourists because we like showing off and that's how we get our money. So you shouldn't be worried, if you're just coming down here to visit or what have you, you should also be fine. Nothing really escalates until you initiate something. So just mind your own business and stay away from crazy people. I'm from the south so we're a lot nicer so I've been told down here. 

• Lili

This is a very large country, and 99% of it is extremely safe.

Think of it as you would have the Christchurch mosque shooting.  Would you have refused to go there BEFORE it happened?  If not, what, precisely, changed, so that you don't want to go there now?

Your tiny nation, statistically speaking, may now be LESS safe than the US is.

Something to think about.

It's one of the sh%thole countries

• Andrew

Yeah. just enjoy yourself and don't become a target of our criminals. pretending they aren't there will be your last mistake. look the scumbag in the eye and hold your ground. they'll cower away. If they don't, then show them you have a gun.

As you have read, shootings do happen from time to time. But it is a relatively safe country, so using some standard precautions (like you would wherever you travel) should afford you a nice safe visit. You are welcome, but some caution would be recommended.

No, it is not. I live 20 miles from that city (Santa Clarita). 

Everyone is miserable here and liable to snap at a moment's notice.