Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 4 weeks ago

is it illegal to make kids run in the cold?

At my school the coaches make us run to the other gym which is about 3 minutes run, not bad, but it’s typically 33/34 degrees plus a breeze. Today there was slight rain as well, and many kids got sick from doing this everyday. Is that okay?

• .

No, it's not illegal to make kids run in the cold. It's warmer for them to run in the cold than to walk (your core temperature goes up as you run, thus you feel warmer AND are out in the cold for a shorter period of time if you're just running from one building to another). As for getting sick, it happens when you're exposed to a virus or bacteria (not because you get wet and/or cold-see source article). 

• DIEGO.

good question !

No, that's not illegal.

it's not illegal but despite what teachers and staff will tell you, you have your own autonomy, you just have to be nice about it. I always throw my parents in situations like this because no one can trump a parent. next time I would say: "I am uncomfortable running in such weather and my mom and dad advised me not to do such thing. If you have a problem with that, here is their number. If not, I will be willing to do an alternate exercise---INDOORS." But also, I mean, it's just three minutes, that's honestly not bad at all. You don't get sick from cold weather, you get sick from bacteria. Those kids probably just have weak immune systems.

• There's no medical link between a common cold and exercising in cold weather. You have to be around someone who has cold/flu symptoms. If you're cold, wear a hat since a hat will retain your body heat.

There's no law banning a coach having you run in cold weather for a few minutes, but solid life choice in going down the path questioning the legality of having to exert yourself. Don't ever try to get a job anywhere.

I do not think it is illegal (based off the USA). It can be against the school rules though. You should bring this complaint up to your principal, he/she can assess this better than I can.

• Hannah

Nope, nothing illegal about that.  And kids don’t get sick from running around outside in the cold.  You get sick via a viral or bacterial infection, not from cold weather.

The temperature and rain wont make you sick. Viruses do.

Being cold or even wet for a few minutes doesn't make a person sick. If that were true every kid that waits for the school bus with damp hair or without a jacket would be sick.

It’s not illegal. It’s part of a mans growth is to run in cold weather and to be more masculine instead of load management bs the NBA levies these days.