Madeira A20 Acoustic bad beginner guitar?

I’ve got some decent practice as a beginning guitar player and I can’t help but think that my guitar I’m starting on is actually one of the hardest to learn on. I have small hands and fingers and feel as if the frets are large and steel strings are hard to push down. The guitar was handed down to me a few years back. I was thinking of purchasing a decent electric guitar such as a ESP Ltd or les Paul because I think I read they might be easier to learn on and the music I listen to is more so in that genre. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Tony B
    Favorite Answer

From what I've discovered the Madeira A20 is a dreadnought guitar which means it has a large body. Many people find dreadnought guitars bulky and uncomfortable to play. 

Unless something has been done to the guitar it will just have standard frets - the same as fitted to any guitar. 

If you find the strings difficult to push down then it could be that the action (the distance between the fretboard and the strings) is too high. It could also be that it is fitted with “medium” gauge strings (which are actually quite thick) which increases string tension. It would be a good idea to get someone who is an experienced player to look at your guitar and see if it needs adjustments and lighter strings. Otherwise your guitar is fine to learn on - a heck of a lot better than what I started off with.

A guitar is a guitar and having a couple of pickups makes no difference to how easy or hard it is to learn on. Learning to play is never easy. 

Of course, if you want to get an electric guitar (and amplifier) then that's fine - like I say, a guitar's a guitar and you can learn on any type. If there isn't anything wrong with the guitar you have though (or if it just needs some work on the nut and bridge saddle and a new set of strings) it seems an unnecessary expense. Be careful also that any guitar you buy is well set up and playable. I've certainly seen brand new electric guitars that were unplayable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Source(s): I've been playing since the early 1970s

It sounds great but very awkward to hold. 

Only professionals can deal with it and even they don't like it.

Don't buy it. Not worth the effort and money.

Buy yourself a Derandin532

Go to a music store and play different models. See what feels comfortable in your hands. Most electrics have C or D profile necks. One neck can feel, in your hands, like a baseball bat and the next can feel like it was made for you. Try them out.