Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Did he try to threaten me?

I was in an argument with my supervisor yesterday. I asked him I need a couple of hours today morning as I want to go for a job search I am serving my notice period in the company. But this guy denied and said I have works pending I cannot go unless I finish it. Anyhow If I decide to go in the morning, then before going I have to be physically in the office and handover the works to him so he can do it himself instead of calling him on phone and say work details. Then he added "So, you don't keep me angry". Is this a fair request or this "keep me angry" sentence seems a threat? If anyone can help...

Wait a minute... you told your current boss you need "time" to look for a new job on HIS dime in HIS office while you still have unfinished work and you're upset? Do you see how crazy that sounds?

• Foofa

This employer is under no obligation to make it easier for you to quit for job there. But this person interjecting emotion into the situation isn't helpful nor professional.

i would hope not

He shouldn't have said that but he's probably annoyed that you asked for time off. You didn't tell him why you wanted time off did you? He would have been more annoyed if he knew why you wanted time off.

I would have told him I needed time off , and if asked why I would have told him personal reasons. He is being unreasonable. There is nothing that is "fair": in the world of work.

You always want to leave a job on good terms.  If that means you need to finish your work, then do it.

It's not a physical threat; it's a reminder that until you do actually leave your job, you should do your best not to annoy your supervisor.

Don't you want a good letter of recommendation for the future?

• g

You've given notice (or been given notice by your employer?) but you need time off to search for another job?? I don't understand what you're asking or what might make him angry.

i wouldve done your job search on your breaks or after work