Philosophical thought: Age isn't just a number, it is a lot more.  Agree or disagree?

When dating people sy "age is just a number", but I like to argue against that.  Age tells you how old you are of course.  But it tells you what stage you are in life.  How maturity both physically and mentally.  Your generation and possible views on things.  It also tells how society will perceive you since you will be judge not only by your actions but by your age.  Do you agree with me or have a compelling argument.

Favorite Answer

Mental maturity is only loosely connected to age, with some people maturing very early while others never really do.  Physical maturity is more closely related to age, but there can still be a fair degree of divergence.  Views on things are shaped by education, culture and society, not by age as such.  How you are seen by society depends on social perception of your age rather than your age itself.

However, I do agree with your thesis, just not for the reasons you list.  Because there is one thing that age will inevitably and always affect, which is your perception of the passage of time.  Your perception of the speed at which time passes is directly related to how much time you have already lived, and that is true for everyone.

To a child of four, a year is an eternity, because it represents one quarter of their entire lifespan - an enormous amount of subjective time!  To an adult of forty, that same year will represent a much smaller part of their lived time, and thus their perception of the length of that year will be far different to that of the four year old.

This is why holidays last an eternity when you are a child and no time at all when you are an adult.  Our perception of time is always directly related to the amount of time we have experienced, and that is an absolute for everyone.  Thus, age is not just a number, it is also a temporal perception filter.

its all within the context

straight up it is just a number but it entails so much

no one is equal to another one but put any two ones together and we get two

2020 is gonna be a good year

Age tells how many times a person has been around the sun.

Age doesn't tell what stage of life a person is in. Whatever stage you care to mention can be the stage in which a person is, regardless of their age.

Age doesn't tell how mature a person is, physically or mentally. Middle-aged people can be considered mentally immature. Young people can be considered mentally mature for their age. People mature physically at various rates. Some people are done growing at a certain age; some keep growing for a few more years. Some are physically fit, and strong, into their sixties; some, due to medical disorders, or self-abuse, are starting to break down much earlier.

Age doesn't reveal a person's views on things. People that are born at exactly the same moment can have views that are completely different compared to each other. People of far different ages can have views that are very similar.

Age doesn't tell how a person will be perceived, or judged. A person's perceptions about one, of whom they know nothing, reveals more about themselves than they do judge correctly of the one.

Ya, age is a social designation and that's all.

• P

Age is a social indication to others to indicate the likely  appropriate interactions

I would have to disagree big time. Just because you are older does not mean you have the maturity level of most in your age range. Hence why there are 40-50 year olds at your local bar who simply have never grown up, still living as if they were teenagers.. where some people in their early 20’s have the maturity level of those that would reflect later years. 

I can speak from personal experience I have been through more at the age of 22 than most people have been through in their entire lives which has lead me to be more mature than many my age. 

Yes, age does tell the world the amount of time you have been alive.. but it does not tell the world what you have learned And the knowledge you have acquired throughout your life. 

Well, nowadays and since the sixties and with fake news and twisted  history in the works az well az the web, I am uncertain that people mature in the way we hope.

Our tech usage and influences  have moved faster than our innate morality 

has been  constructed/   geared to process,maybe.

I agree with the argument. It is your supposition I disagree.

i think thats true

i think thats true