Where did all the moths go?

It seems like my grandmother and lots of other members of the older generations were obsessed with keeping moths out of their clothes. I have never seen evidence of a moth or moth-bites in my clothes my entire life. What happened to this massive threat?

Favorite Answer

Just about everything today is synthetics and moths are not to big on that.

The only time they are a big deal is when they eat hols in that $800 woll suit or skirt.

I remember my sister declaring life long war on moths damaging a genuine afghan sweater that was very expensive.

Me, I kept moths and butterflies, and some moths can be very pretty if not huge.

They are still around, I spot them outside at night, mostly around lights.

in the daytime they go to sleep

• Zirp

they ruined my favourite winter-sweater a few years ago.

anyhoo, insects in general are less numerous nowadays. maybe due to chemicals, or because crops are grown on larger pieces of land. A few decades ago, you had to clean your windshield after a day of driving in the summer.

Pesticides mostly, and the fact our windows and doors aren't left open all the time anymore.

• L.N.

Moths don't eat synthetic fibers. Wool clothes are a lot less common these days.

i think theyre outside, ive seen them

theyre outside, ive seen them